Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Proof Positive

Gosh - it's amazing that making a simple choice could yield such massively positive results.

A while ago I wrote this piece, about my efforts to live my life like I've always imagined. And by that I mean, being a good person. Not great. Not excellent. Just good. Simple. Honest. Open.

I talked of what I thought I already did well in life and the things I'm pretty poor at doing.

My intention of writing this down was to make myself accountable. To myself. To my husband. To my family and friends. To the people who have so lovingly allowed me into their lives. And the rewards (unforeseen at the time), reinforce why this is the best life goal I could have ever set for myself.

I am seeing more of my gal (and guy) pals than ever before and we are all taking active efforts to be more involved in each other's lives. We have set up a dinner party group, gone out for a birthday bowling bash and even attended a different kind of party. I feel like a better friend and am so happy to know how my friends are doing in their lives - the good and the bad.

I am answering emails in a more timely manner, something I've been terrible at doing in the past. This has lead me to great volunteering opportunities reading to elementary school kids and a few new writing opportunities. Both things make me feel really happy.

I am noticing there is a time and a place for swearing. I will always, ALWAYS, have a sailor's vocabulary, but dropping an f*bomb while reading to kindergartner's is not something I want to be known for. However, I must say a massive thank you to this morning's first grade teacher for having a laugh with me when my Tommy Boy ring tone went off in class. Luckily, I reached it before it got to the dickhead part.

SuperFutureDad and I are saying things like 'please' and 'thank you' and 'I love you' more. That feels GREAT!!! Politeness goes a looooonnnnngggg way when dealing with the ones you love and they deserve graciousness and gratitude as much as - if not more than - the stranger for whom you open the door.

My world is still black and white but I'm trying to choose to ignore the things I can't change. This doesn't happen everyday but when it does, it's liberating. No toxic-energy for me! As tiara-wearing Julia Mancuso stated during the Olympics, 'save the drama for your mama.'

All of this being said, I am still a work in progress. That's life, eh? You live, you learn. You try to be good.

But if I find you putzing around the left lane forcing me to pass you on the right, I will still give you the bird. You deserve it.


2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you've been really making an effort to improve and be a better person! That's really inspirational! Good for you!

    By the way, I have nominated you for the "You're Going Places, Baby" award! Please visit http://journeytowardmotherhood.blogspot.com/2010/03/award-for-moi.html for more info!

    ReplyDelete
  2. atta girl! All good changes and another good reminder for my slow ass to stay away from you while driving.

    Btw, congrats on the vacation gals gig!

    ReplyDelete