Saturday, March 27, 2010

Planning a Bodacious Baby Shower

So... one of my besties here is almost ready to pop with her first nugget! I am so excited! I get to be an Auntie (by location default, of course).

Several months ago a couple of her good friends and I decided that we would throw her a bodacious baby shower - or at least try to. Well, now the day is almost here (tomorrow) and I am stressing!! I want everything to be perfect! It's her first baby after all... you don't get baby showers after the first one, do you??

I just keep imagining what I would want my baby shower to be like and I'm hope, hope, hoping that we are giving our friend the shower she deserves and wants!!

So... although there is not much time left... I would love your opinions on whether or not we are on the right track.

Location: Chez moi... in our basement... where the fireplace is. We have 2 couches, 2 arm chairs, 2 ottomans, and countless other random chairs for gals to sit in. There is also a bathroom on that floor so no need to go upstairs.

Time: 2 pm.

Decorations:
Baby Shower banner hung above the fireplace
Shiny foil Baby Shower banner hung across the big screen TV
Mummy-To-Be gets to wear a sash that reads... you guessed it... MOM-TO-BE

Theme:
She is not finding out the sex of her baby so I went with a Noah's Ark, multi-color theme. We have Noah's Ark plates and napkins and cups... as well as plates, cups and napkins in pale yellow. That's gender neutral isn't it?
I bought a green tablecloth because her nursery is painted green. The invitations were also designed with her nursery's color in mind.

Menu:
Build-your-own sandwiches with a choice of turkey or ham, white or wheat cocktail buns and Colby cheese.
I'll put condiments in little dessert bowls so people can choose what they want.
Tortilla chips and queso.
Veggie tray.
Fresh, air-popped popcorn using SuperFutureDad's movie-theater-type popper
Crackers, pretzels and cheese
Fruit pizza
Cake - chocolate with chocolate frosting decorated with same green as her shower. It reads: "Oh, baby! Congrats, (her name)!
Candy - placed into hurricanes for easy grabbing

Drinks:
Box 'o Wine
Bottle of champagne
Fruit Punch

Games:
I am not in charge of games but I think we are planning on having 2 different games. The traditional melted chocolate bar in diaper game... I think a microwave is involved.
And a 'guess the M&M count' game. Her friend filled baby bottles with green and brown M&M's (again, her nursery colors) and whoever guesses the correct amount of candy wins the bottle as a party favor.

Whew!!! I think that's it. We are expecting about 25 people. If you have any suggestions of how we can pull this off better, I'm all ears.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like it'll be a lot of fun! You're a great friend!--I'm sure she'll love it & never forget it!

    ReplyDelete